Sunday, March 16, 2014

Mickey's Clubhouse Birthday!!!

So I got asked to make a cake and 7 dozen cupcakes for my husband's cousin. Now I'm an amateur baker. I've only been doing it for a few years. I do it as a hobby for family. I only do it maybe twice a year if someone asks me.  She was having a Mickey Clubhouse theme first birthday party for her son. She wanted a clubhouse cake and cupcakes to correspond to mickey and all his friends. I have to admit I had no idea what his clubhouse looked like. But I agreed to do it anyways. So my first task was to google the clubhouse. I was kind of perplexed by it. What was with the one foot and hand. It look like some failed science experiment. So I set out making the hand, foot, and head ahead of time. I used this website as inspiration http://sweetkatscreations.blogspot.com/2012/02/mickey-mouse-clubhouse-cake.html.

 
 I knew it would take a couple days for them to dry. For the head I cover a large foam ball and 2 small balls with black fondant. I do make my own fondant. I find it taste much better then the store bought.  I inserted a dowel into the large foam ball so I could add it to the top of the cake later.
For the hand I shape the hand and fingers out of one large ball of fondant. I did insert a toothpick into each of the fingers. For the foot I shaped it out of one ball of yellowish fondant. I use 2 dowel for support and left it to dry. She asked for Mickey and Minnie cupcakes with ears like she saw here http://spoonful.com/recipes/mickey-mouse-cupcakes. But I wanted them to look more realistic.
So I took large Oreos and inserted  sucker sticks. I then "glued" 2 small Oreos with chocolate frosting for the ears. I put them in the fridge for the frosting to set. Later took a can of chocolate frosting and microwaved it for 45 sec until it melted (remember to remove the metal lining). Then I dipped the Mickeys into it. I set them in the fridge to set.
She had purchased cupcakes picks with bows for Minnie and Daisy, along with Goofy and Donald's hats. I took the Minnie bows and stuck then into the dipped Oreo mouse heads.


On the day of the party I baked the cake as well as the cupcakes. Looking back I should have done them the night before, lol. I finished all the cupcakes and put together the cake. I was very proud of the finished result. I had never done a cake like this before. Or really modeled with fondant before. All and all she was very happy with the cake and cupcakes. It was a great party!!
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment